Accessibility links

Other drugs

Sometimes a type of antidepressant, known as a tricyclic antidepressant or TCA can be used, depending on the type or cause of your pain. TCAs are recommended by the health watchdog, NICE, and widely used by pain clinics and GPs for patients with a type of pain coming from damaged nerves, called neuropathic pain. When used in this way, they are NOT being given to you because your doctor is assuming you are depressed although if you are feeling down because of your pain, their antidepressant effect may be a bonus. If you are seriously depressed because of the amount of pain you are in, your doctor may recommend an antidepressant in its own right, to help break through the vicious cycle.

Talking to your doctor

picture of drugs